Monday, March 19, 2007

So the day after break as usual half the college is TRYING to get back on track. But thats a whole different ball game. As I picked up my dose of The Daily Cougar, my saving grace during boring classes since it has Sudoku and the Crossword, something very regular during this time of the year caught my eye. "SFAC report: increase fees" This is an oft repeated headline during spring semester since the University works on the budget. SFAC, for those of you who are wondering what it is, is the Student Fees Advisory Committee. They have proposed a 5.11% increase in the fees. While this might seem not too much to a few of you, imagine a University with more than 30,000 students and wonder how much revenue that would increase. Still guessing- its going to be a whopping $687,516. The first time I read it, I went oh my gosh, these undergrads next year are going to be oblivious to what hit them, and was delighted about the fact that I wouldn't be in that situation anymore since I was graduating. But then it hit me that I was still going to be a student in some University and was going to have to bear that brunt wouldn't I?

Here's my question. Why is it that all of the revenue making policies are guided towards students? It's not like we are making money like the faculty and staff. Almost all of us are on some loans of sorts. The more the tuition and fees increase the more we have to bear the brunt. The chair of SFAC expressed his regret towards not being able to curb the rise, but that is not going to help. We hear the same whine every single time, and we have always seen atleast 5% rise in the fees, to do what? Increase the number of buildings, give faculty and staff the pay raise they get every year? Yes faculty and staff get some sort of a rise, some bonus sort of situation! Ask them to donate to fund raising groups on campus, and a few handful will be glad to do it.

EDUCATION HAS BECOME A BUSINESS
(those of you are denying this fact, you need some SERIOUS reality check) and it is irrespective of where the educational institution, which is one of thre reasons I have begun to hate the whole institution of learning, atleast the way we are used to it these days. If you can pretty much base a school/college and charge the students, you are on your way to having a decent amount of moolah. You cannot get a degree if you learn by yourself, since you weren't part of a reputed school. What the hell does a college/university have to do with your degree- all they do is basically guide you. If you really had the will and urge to learn, you would do it by yourself. Yes I am being cynical about the situation, but can you blame me? We go to school/college since its the thing to do. A typical question-" What would you be doing otherwise?"- my answer to that- Living life the way it should be lived. I can learn when I want to, when I dont want to. And more over why does learning have to be only through books? Explore the world and you will learn more, I promise. Which is one of the reasons I loved D.C. All those conversations I had with people, helped me "find" myself.

They say that life is a vicious cycle- what goes around comes around? But this present system of education defies all norms. If saying that one fine day, us sucking out the marrow of money from the students is our payback, then I have to say that it is sick! Us kids today are scared of education- we just hate to admit it since we are all part of it. Will save it for later!

Shreya

1 comment:

Annie Frankovis said...

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2004/09/20/Opinion/The-Firing.Line-723752.shtml

Read my comment (the last comment on the page). It's not exactly about the same issue, but similar.