Friday, August 18, 2006

Yes I remembered the promise to keep up. So I know a lot of you guys have been asking me what I have been doing these years since I left India in 2003. I think ever since I have left, I have never been the same again. The first year was the hardest. It took me a while before I could adjust to the surroundings but I did it, and I am damn well proud of it. I was in Lubbock, Texas for a year, where I did my senior year of high school at Lubbock High. As crazy as this sounds, I loved that city. It was such a loveable city, I am not even kidding. That is like my point of reference sometimes. I can go on and on about that city, but I will not.

Well then by a series of (un)fortunate events, we moved to Houston in 2004. Hate the city till date. I did not want to come here, but I have indeed lived here for the last two years. I go to the University of Houston. I am working on my Bachelors of Science degree in Economics with a minor in French. So far, school(college) has been good. The first semester turned out to be decent enough. I was most definitely not one of those lost freshman, absolutely clueless. I had a game plan and I am glad that I have stuck with it. I do not intend to change majors, I am dead set to do economics, and economics it shall be. What am I going to be doing with that degree? Great question!!!! I am a little confused as of now too, because some people have been asking me to go to law school. I must admit that I am definitely skeptical about law school. I am not sure if I have got it in me to be committed to law school, but that is still in the near future. But I am planning to go to the UNICEF(United Nations Children Fund). I want to work with the UN and help third world countries get out of their poverty trap. It is not an easy task and it is definitely one of those young-generation-ideas. But I have decided to do it, failure or success.

I am currently working at the Scholars' Community at UH as a Mentor/Tutor. Some hard core job let me assure you. But the people are awesome. I know I am going to make friends for life over there. I am glad that that egg shell I was in, has finally broken and Washington D.C. is responsible for that. No more scared to do stuff, I have finally taken the step to not be such a wuss.

Umm have I changed? Yes, most definitely. I am still the person you could talk to 3.5 years ago, but I am sure you will find discrepancies here and there. I have become liberal, I do not know how much of it, but yes liberal. It has swung pretty often, moderate liberal and very liberal. But yes at this point of time I am definitely a Democrat. Washington D.C. and all the stuff that goes on in there, has let me come to that conclusion. I did think that I was a conservative in the economic standpoint, but after a lecture at Georgetown on Free Market Economy, I have decided never to hit that road ever again. I don't think that I want to run deficits, but definitely no free market economy for me. Which means Univ of Chicago is out of the question. For those of you who are wondering why, its because it is a free market school. I don't think I can work with the Austrian School of Economics anymore. Yes I still admire Hayek, but I cannot pursue it. Hayek will still be my God for economics, because he was the first economist I read.

I will have to take leave right now. I don't know how effective blogs are, so I am going to leave it at that . I am trying to upload a pic on here, so bear with me.

Adios
Shreya

No comments: