Saturday, August 19, 2006

I woke up this morning not knowing what to do and all of a sudden Jon was online. As usual, I began to bug him and he sent me an email with this link ( I am not going to put the link out here)- but it got me thinking about personal liberty. I am going to be a little too extreme about this so please bear with me ( and of course comments are more than welcome).

The website was an online resource of personal information. You could search anyone on that website and get any information you would want. And yes when I say any, I mean it. For a price, you could be entitled to their Social Security Number too, you could do a Search by Social Security Number on that dreaded website ( as if it were an ISBN number or something). It scared the hell out of me in the beginning, but then upon close examination, I did realise that it could be a good resource( I am playing devil's advocate with myself, I am definitely against that website). I am sorry I am going offtrack. Here is the thing, do we need to start a more rigorous regulation of the internet today than ever before? Some people are going to ramble about infringement of personal liberty, of civil rights, but what if we definitely need a regulation because other people are at risk. When the phone tapping incident came out, I was all for getting an answer as to how my privacy was being intruded upon. And yes I was offended, and trying to justify as to how other people were ok with this. It struck me ridiculous. I don't want to be offensive, but that is definitely a violation of my right to privacy.


And even so why are we in a state of racial profiling in the 21st century? Just because we get threats sometimes?Like my friend Jad Elias from Lebanon said in our class once, that we have forgotten the distinct distinction between Radicalism and Islam. What about those who are innocent and are as disgusted as us with the current situation? Why shouldn't they be given a chance to explain their viewpoints?

I don't know...I have to let this post go now, cause I cant write anymore but I will
Shreya

No comments: