Saturday, September 20, 2008

A trip down to the ancestral land, modern style

I think I qualify to write about Stone-Age. Fine, if that's a little far-fetched, I qualify to write about a Modern Stone- Age. Who would have thought that living in the US would bring forth a powerless existence (no pun intended) for over 72 hours, and in some cases indefinitely ( as I write this, a multitude of citizens in the Houston, Galveston area are still without power, hence the indefinite part).

Hurricane Ike hit Houston on September 13th, at around 4 a.m. What would end up an excruciating, yet adventurous, experience began at 10 pm the night before. I lost power at the stroke of midnight. Thank whoever (read a lot of people) for having screamed at me to charge every possible electronic device I possessed, just in case the power went off. And go it did. Only to return at my apartment on Monday night, three and a half days later. Though it seems like it would have been an unpleasant journey, frankly speaking it wasn't. Yes, the lack of power got us frantic about phones, laptops, most of all INTERNET, every third thought would be - how many emails have I missed out on, but nothing that hampered survival. What about food you might ask- Bar-be-que to the rescue! A couple of my friends made omelette, Ramen noodles, tandoori chicken, stuffed veggies, and the best of all TEA! For the tea fanatic Indians, they had a working supply of tea.

The point I am trying to make, without further beating around the bush, is we had fun without power. Innovative and creative minds were beyond control, seemed like laptops and internet had put the thinking minds to a hiatus, except of course when we are required to do homework. One might argue that it was easy since we knew how to build fire, amen to the smokers, we didn't have to sharpen arrows to hunt animals, we weren't half clad with leaves, we didn't have to reinvent the wheel, though we did have to worry about fuel shortage, nonetheless it wasn't quite the silver plate we were accustomed to. Of course, not to mention the temper tantrums that some of us witnessed/threw.

Now that power's back, we, at least I, miss those precious three days. Very few people live to experience something like this. I do realize my post projects insensitivity towards people who have lost a lot. However, this post was an experience of someone who survived with a scratch. So let me be granted the permission of being insensitive. Cliched this post might seem, but I beseech you to look at it from my stand point.

Best of all, the cancelation of classes, homeworks and the lack of motivation to return to normalcy. One of those things that every acamedician, students especially, is going to appreciate.

I guess good things don't last too long, so is the case with this. Here's a slideshow of the hurricane through my camera. I wish I could upload more photos, but spare me that effort. I haven't quite gotten back to appreciating power yet (all pun intended ;) )






P.S. To those who are still suffering from the hurricane, I really have nothing to say, not because I don't understand what you are going through, but because I don't know what to say. Things will go back to what you knew before the hurricane, just hang in there I guess.

No comments: