Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Its all the same!!!!

When you wake up and find yourself in the US, things seem odd and different; things seem ridiculously difficult. But as time goes on, you find yourself constantly explaining your culture, your traditions, and sometimes even your language, quite often to people who claim to know things . An innocent economics grad student at the University of Houston found herself in one of these ridiculous, yet hilarious situations on a cold Monday afternoon. While she waited with her friend for a cup of hot chocolate, she happened to hear the conversation between two undergrad girls discussing what they wanted to drink. One of them suggested that they drink chai and upon the inquisition why, went on to explain that it was very healthy because it had a lot of spices and herbs in them. She also suggested that she could drink tea too. Put in crude terms, the grad student cracked up ending it with a smirk on her face, subtly making sure that the girls saw it. Unable to restrain her obsession to explain things, to friends and strangers alike, proceeded to tell them that it was the SAME- TEA and CHAI were the same things. Let me enlighten you as to why the grad student made it a point to set it straight. In the US, chai is sold at coffee places as flavored tea- orange, raspberry, chinese herbs (god knows what that means), spicy masala chai- basically ruining the taste of tea, aka chai. When are these people going to learn??? I guess until they realize that Shreya and Shreyasee aren't the same thing, that semai is actually semi, that antai is anti and of-ten is often, we are still going to have chai as chai and tea as tea.

weirdos!

9 comments:

Rajeev Turlapati said...

go and say Welcome to America! or will you say Welcoam to Amrika

I know nohing but pronunciation antie,semai.. :P
I still haven't slept in the US either

Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Yeah maan... Of-ten is so dumb... I hope our common frund is listening off

Annie Frankovis said...

Well, to me, Shreya and Shreyasee are the same thing, because I call you both. :D But yes, Anne, Ann, and Annie are not the same, but in terms of the person, they are. :) Yes... we were once dumb little undergrads ourselves. Only I think with you it was our (Erin, John, Wes, myself) corrupting you to think less, and with me it was the hair dye. How does that explain the others though? :D

shreybomb said...

double standards! double double standards!!! how is shreya and shreyasee justified and ann, anne, annie not? :P lol! but yes I was such a good girl before that fatal semester of Fall 2005 when I fell into the hands of the crazy ones:D ....and oh hair dye- now thats completely different story :D

Annie Frankovis said...

Give me a break. I was tired when I wrote that. :P Shreya and Shreyasee are the same as far as what I call you, because it's you. Just like Annie, Anne, and Ann are the same if someone calls me that. However, we are Shreyasee and Annie. Our nicknames are not what we actually are. :P Happy?

Annie Frankovis said...

And at least I can pronounce your name, unlike those dumb undergrads. hehe

shreybomb said...

hahahah! aaa we were once undergrads too :P maybe not dumb though :D yes....we are who we are- as in twins :P lol!!!!

Varun Abhiram said...

LOL @ the post. And not to forget, vaitamins :D

shreybomb said...

@very true- the vaitimins and the antai-biotics are very important for the health- not to mention the deriiivative for the econ majors